15 “but in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect,” (I Peter 3:15).
To defend the Scriptures before an unbelieving culture begins with honoring Jesus Christ as holy. We are to do this with all of our being. This attitude leads us to our responsibility of always being prepared. The word prepared (ἕτοιμος; hetoimos) means to be ready, or to do that which is necessary prior to an event. We are to always be prepared to share the gospel prior to when we share the gospel.
For example, when my wife and I have Thanksgiving Dinner at our home, she prepares for this meal days ahead and not just hours. She thinks about the turkey she will buy, the assorted accessories to the meal (mash potatoes; dressing; her buttermilk squash) along with when she will actually begin preparing the meal earlier that day, which is hours before our guests arrive. She also prepares by having the dinner table set just so, perhaps even the night before. When our friends and family do arrive for Thanksgiving Dinner, they sit down to enjoy a meal that’s been well planned for everyone’s enjoyment.
Being prepared to share the Scriptures requires the same amount of discipline and preparation. It takes time. How do we then prepare? Here are some suggestions.
- Subscribe to an apologetic website: Apologetics315, The Poached Egg, Stand to Reason, Ravi Zacharias International Ministries, Reasonable Faith, Cold-Case Christianity, Ligonier Ministries, Grace to You, and the Christian Apologetics Alliance.
- Read free articles from these resource pages on the most important arguments for the truth of Christianity.
- Buy a book that covers the basics:
- The Reason for God by Tim Keller
- On Guard by William Lane Craig
- Who Made God? by Ravi Zacharias and Norman Geisler
- The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel
- Tactics by Greg Koukl.
- Know Why You Believe by Paul E. Little.
- Learn why other worldviews are false (atheism, Islam, etc.)
The resources are easily available. Begin today to prepare to make a defense for the gospel.
Soli deo Gloria!